Car Sun Protection at Graff Mt. Pleasant
You already know it is important to protect yourself from the sun’s UV rays in the summer months, but did you know it is also important to protect your vehicle? During the summer season, UV rays can have a huge impact on the condition of your vehicle’s interior and exterior. The warmer temperatures can cause overheating of various components, interior damage, and even exterior wear. Before the temperatures rise, learn the importance of protecting your vehicle from the damaging UV rays of the sun. On this page, Graff Mt. Pleasant gives some tips for protecting the interior and exterior of your car, truck, or SUV from high temperatures. To make sure your vehicle is prepared to perform properly in the heat, you can also visit our routine maintenance or FAQ page for answers to all of your vehicle maintenance questions.
Vehicle Sun Protection Tips for Summer
When you leave your vehicle out in the sun for a long period of time, the sun’s harsh rays can cause potential problems and long-term damage, which is why we have put together these summer car care vehicle sun protection tips to keep your car, truck, SUV, or crossover in the best possible condition this season. Following these vehicle sun protection tips will help extend the life of your vehicle and keep it looking like new long after the summer season:
- Purchase a Sunshade – Car sunshades are a convenient and effective way to keep sunlight from damaging the interior of your car, truck, or SUV. Over long periods of time, the sun’s UV rays can cause leather interior surfaces to crack and can cause interior consoles and fabrics to fade. Sunshades not only protect your vehicle’s interior surfaces, but they can also keep your cabin cool during the hot summer, making you and your passengers more comfortable every time to get into the car.
- Regularly Wash and Wax – Routinely washing your vehicle is a great way to keep dirt and grime from rusting your vehicle’s exterior. However, by adding a wax with a UV protection polish, you can also reduce sun damage and prevent your vehicle’s paint from fading. We recommend washing your vehicle on a cooler day when the exterior surface temperature is not as high. You may have noticed that when your car air-dries, the water tends to leave behind mineral deposit spots. To prevent these, we recommend hand drying your car with a soft towel.
- Cover Your Car – Purchasing a full cover for your vehicle is a great way to protect the vehicle from top to bottom from sun damage and other weather conditions. Full-size covers are recommended to drivers who leave their vehicle parked outside for long periods of time. Additionally, you can protect your vehicle during the summer months by making an effort to park in the shade, or in a garage or carport.
- Clean the Interior of Your Car – When it comes to the summer months, it is particularly important to keep the interior of your car dust free. Dust can build up and wear the interior finish of your vehicle, and it can also leave a sticky film on the dashboard or console if left in the hot sun for too long. By regularly dusting your interior you can prevent any buildup of grime that could cause potential damage to your vehicle’s leather or upholstery.
- Importance of Protecting Your Vehicle from UV Rays – Remember that no matter the season, the temperature under the hood of your vehicle will always be high after your vehicle has been in use. During the summer season, the heat from the sun further increases this temperature under the hood, making it even more crucial to understand the importance of protecting your vehicle’s fluids, belts, hoses, and tires from the effect of the sun’s heat.
Keeping your vehicle’s fluids maintained is very important, and we recommend checking your fluids regularly in all seasons. However, the high temperatures of summer can cause the health of your vehicle’s fluids to deteriorate more quickly, which is why it is important to always check their condition. Below we’ve outlined how the heat and sun can affect your coolant, brake fluid, oil and even gasoline:
- Coolant – Since coolant regulates your engine temperature, without enough coolant your engine can overheat and damage other parts of your vehicle. This is especially important to remember during the summer months because the hot weather can take a toll on your already hot engine.
- Brake Fluid – In some cases, it can be reassuring to have your brake fluid inspected during the summer months since the hot temperatures and excessive friction can affect their performance. You may feel a 'softer' pedal during the summer months simply because of the warmer weather, but do not confuse this with an unresponsive brake pedal.
- Oil – Your vehicle’s oil must never get low in the summer months, or anytime throughout the year since a lack of oil can cause engine failure.
- Gasoline – While today’s vehicles are designed to prevent excess gasoline evaporation, it is still helpful to do what you can to reduce evaporation that can be caused by hot summer temperatures. For example, always make sure your fuel cap is secured tightly, try to park in the shade, and buy gas early in the morning or later at night when the outside temperature is cooler.
Other vehicle components you should check when it comes to Summer Car Care are your belts and hoses since summer’s high temperatures can cause additional wear on both of these parts. A cracked hose with leaks can cause fluid levels to drop and damage other vehicle parts, while a snapped belt can cause your engine to stop altogether. By routinely inspecting your belts and hoses, you can save time and money in the long run.
Hot summer weather can also affect the condition of your tires. When the temperature rises, it causes the pavement to get hot, and hot pavement results in increased friction on your tires. Your vehicle’s tire tread can, therefore, wear faster in the summer, so we recommend checking your tire’s air pressure and tread periodically throughout the season and before heading on the road for a long period of time.
Let Our Service EXPERTS Help!
It could SAVE you more than you think.
Schedule a Summer Car Care Appointment at Graff Mt. Pleasant
We know the summer season calls for time in the sun. That is why at Graff Mt. Pleasant we want you to be aware of the importance of sun protection when it comes to your vehicle. The heat and UV rays can cause damage to both the exterior and interior of your vehicle. Make sure you keep your car, truck, SUV, or crossover in top condition this summer with our vehicle sun protection tips. If you are in need of vehicle maintenance, schedule your summer car care appointment at Graff Mt. Pleasant. Our team of ASE Certified Technicians will help inspect, repair, and replace any part of your vehicle. Schedule your appointment online or call (989) 773-3937 or (989) 773-3917 today. Our dealerships are located at 4580 E Pickard Rd (Chevrolet) and 116 N. Mission St. (Buick GMC Cadillac) in Mt. Pleasant, MI. We proudly serve the Mt. Pleasant area as well as Midland, Clare, Big Rapids, Alma, and St. Louis.