Winter Tire Maintenance at Graff Mt. Pleasant
Winter may be the most critical time of the year to care about the performance of your vehicle’s tires. Tires are one of the main components on your vehicle that can keep you safe on the icy, snowy roads. Before and during the winter season, it’s important to pay attention to the state of your current tires and to think about investing in winter tires. Read below for more information on winter tire maintenance at Graff Mt. Pleasant to keep yourself and your passengers safe this season!
Winter Tire Car Care Checklist
- Check Tire Pressure – As the weather grows colder, your tire’s air pressure may decrease due the drop in temperature. This is because the oxygen molecules are contracting in the lower temperatures. It is important to get in the habit of checking your tire air pressure often since proper air pressure in your tires allows for better fuel economy, smoother driving, and improved handling.
- Check Tire Tread – The tread on your tires is very important especially in slushy and wet road conditions. Appropriate tire tread helps your tires to grip to the road, keeping you in control of the vehicle, and helping you drive properly. If your tread is too worn, by using the penny method, it's time to consider a new set of tires.
- Rotate Your Tires– Routine tire rotations assist in the process of maintaining your tires and allowing the tread to wear evenly. Your tires will likely experience irregular wear during the long winter months, but by regularly rotating them, your tires will last longer and keep you safer on the roads.
The Importance of Winter Tires
It’s always a good idea to keep an eye on the wear of your vehicle’s tires to ensure your vehicle is prepared to stop on any road, but the type of tire matters, too. All-season tires may not be your safest option for Michigan’s winter weather. Did you know winter tires are specifically designed to not only handle well in snow but also in dry cold, wet, sleet, slush, and icy conditions? Winter tires can increase your safety on slick roads because they include:
- Aggressive tread to reduce snow buildup
- Formulated rubber to remain flexible at low temps
- Deeper tread to better channel water and slush
Similar to your brakes, your tires are the main vehicle component keeping you from sliding off the road or into an intersection in icy conditions. Winter tires are proven to shorten braking times by 25% compared to all-season tires. So if you’re having trouble braking, or even driving in snow and other winter weather conditions, it might be time to invest in winter tires. We understand you may have questions about what tire options are available and which option makes sense for your budget, so please feel free to give us a call with any questions at 989-773-3937.
Schedule Your Winter Tire Service in Mt. Pleasant, MI at Graff Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac
If you’re concerned about the safety or condition of your tires, make sure to have your Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, or Cadillac inspected by our professional Service Team! Our Certified Service Center is well equipped with an expert team of technicians who care about your safety and can help you choose the right winter tires, inspect the condition of your current tires, and rotate your tires for even wear. You can conveniently schedule your winter tire service at Graff Mt. Pleasant online or by giving us a call at our Chevrolet Dealership at (989) 773-3937 or our Buick, GMC, Cadillac Dealership at (989) 773-3917. We proudly serve the Central Michigan and Mt. Pleasant area including Clare, Alma, Big Rapids, St. Louis, Ithaca, and Midland. We're looking forward to seeing you at our Dealership Service Center at 4580 E. Pickard Rd. or 116 N. Mission Street in Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858!